How to Become Licensed Architect
How to Become an Architect in Canada
Study architecture at a college (or university) and obtain a bachelor's degree or master's degree.Education is an important factor for becoming an architect. Make sure your chosen program of study has been approved under the Canadian Architectural Certification Board (CACB) before you enroll.
- Complete the Syllabus Program offered by the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (RAIC) as an alternative way to become an architect.
Gain 5,600 hours of work experience.Experience in architecture received from work done outside of Canada may be considered to help fulfill this requirement.
- Apply for the Internship in Architecture program. This 3-year program is available through architects associations in each Canadian province. If accepted, the program will help you gain architecture experience in Canada and ease the transition between school and work.
- Find a mentor and complete the Canadian Experience Record Book as a required part of being an intern architect. The record book serves as a way to make note of your internship role and the work experience you gained during that time.
Pass an examination to qualify for a license, either at the provincial or territorial level.A new exam called the Examination for Architects in Canada (ExAC) has recently been developed to test an architecture intern's competency.
- Take the older, computerized Architect Registration Examinations (ARE) to get reciprocal licensing for architects who wish to work throughout North America. The ARE is administered by the U.S. National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB).
Receive your license and certificate to practice architecture in a Canadian province or territory.
QuestionDoes this job pay well?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThe average architect makes about 63,723 Canadian dollars per year.Thanks!
QuestionWhich one is better, a BA or BS Arch?Liza GaylordCommunity AnswerNot sure how much of a difference it makes. The differentiation between the two can sometimes be arbitrary (you can, for example, get a B.S. in literature if you attend MIT).Thanks!
If I follow the step 2 above and I want to get a masters degree in architecture, is this possible?
How many years of education does it take to become a licensed architect in Canada?
How much is schooling?
Ask a Question
200 characters left
Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered.
- Check with the CACB to determine that you can get reciprocal certification of your education if you received a degree in architecture from an accredited college (or university) outside of Canada.
- Use the Canadian Handbook of Practice for Architects as a study resource.
- Depending on the provincial or territorial association you are getting your license from, you may need to fulfill other licensing or registration requirements in addition to passing the ExAC or ARE before you can get your license and certificate.
- You may need to get professional liability insurance if you intend to practice architecture in Canada and are certified to do so.
- Experienced architects from outside of Canada seeking to become licensed in the country must provide a portfolio of their work and professional references from past employers and clients. Proof of being licensed in their home country must also be given.
- If you attended school outside of Canada, you or your college (or university) must provide certain documents to help the CACB decide if your education meets Canadian requirements. An application form for the CACB must be filled out and a fee must be paid. The evaluation of your education takes a minimum of 2 months. You may also need to be interviewed by the CACB.
Video: How to Become A Licensed Architect in Canada
How to Slice a Cucumber
How to Balance
5 Effective Baba Ramdev Yoga Asanas To Increase Height
How to Get Tickets to the Oscars
10Incredible Stories Behind Some ofthe Most Powerful Photos ofAll Time
Best Lakme Eye Shadows – Our Top 10
The Minimalists Guide to Makeup: 10 Products That Simplify Your Routine
How to Work With Ribbon for Embroidery
6 Easy Ways to Quit Giving In To Food Cravings
More Than 4,000 U.S. Kids Hurt Each Year on Amusement Rides
Sample Contingency Plan for Fire
The 5 Best Ways to Shrink Your Pores, According to Dermatologists
Date: 12.12.2018, 22:46 / Views: 71564