75 Basement Paint Colors Ideas To Brighten The Dark Room
How to Brighten a Room After Painting It Too Dark
There are many ways to brighten a room after you’ve painted it too dark. Ultimately, though, the steps you take will depend on your budget, your taste, and how much you really want to alter the room. Some things you can do include adding light, changing accessories, and making changes to the furniture you use in the room. In the end, you’ll be able to brighten the room and create a more open and airy feeling.
Take down or change curtains.Your first step after painting should be to evaluate the curtains and blinds you have in the room. Curtains, blinds, and other window treatments have the effect of darkening a room. By making small changes, you’ll bring more light into your dark room.
- Remove fabric valances to allow more light in.
- Take down curtains if they’re limiting the light that can come in.
- Replace dark colored blinds with light colored blinds.
- Keep your curtains or blinds open to allow a lot of natural light to enter the room.
Install more light fixtures.The simplest way to brighten a dark room is by installing more light fixtures. Placed appropriately, your light fixtures will temper your dark paint and help you create an airy feel.
- Have an electrician install recessed lighting, if you want.
- Use desk or table lamps to add more light.
- Add free standing lights to the darkest areas of your room.
Use light to accent dark areas of the room.If you have a part of the room that is particularly dark, like an accent wall, you can focus your light there. This will temper the darkness of that part of the room.
- Place a free-standing light near an accent wall.
- If you have “eyeball” recessed lighting, point it toward the dark area of the room.
Use lightbulbs that give off white light.Another way to brighten a room is to control the type of light your light fixtures give off. While traditional incandescent lightbulbs give off a yellow or goldish light, other types of lights spread a brighter and whiter light.
- Use LED light bulbs.
- Pick incandescent or other lights that are labeled “white” or “bright.”
- Choose the brightest bulbs your fixture can safely handle. For example, if the fixture can take a 100- watt bulb, don’t use a 60-watt bulb in it.
Focusing on Furniture
Arrange the furniture so the room seems open and airy.While it may not seem like much, by simply arranging your furniture a certain way, you’ll be able to create a more open and airy feel in the room. This is important, as furniture has the largest footprint and therefore exerts the most influence on a room’s character.
- Move furniture away from a dark accent wall.
- Make sure the room is open from the entry way. For example, wherever someone enters the room, they should be able to walk straight into the middle of it, instead of being blocked by a table or couch.
- Don’t cluster too many pieces of furniture in one part of the room. For example, avoid placing an arm chair and side table next to a book case.
Swap dark furniture for light furniture.If you have dark furniture in the room, consider switching it out for lighter furniture. The lighter furniture will temper the darkness of the room and create a brighter and more airy feeling.
- If you have dark wood furniture, replace it with white or light wood colored furniture.
- If you can’t swap furniture, consider changing small things. For example, you may be able to get a lighter couch cover for your couch. You might also consider getting a bright accent pillow for the couch.
Remove some furniture.You may also be able to remove certain pieces of furniture from the room. By doing this, you’ll open the room up and create a more free and flowing feel.
- Make sure to focus on dark pieces of furniture, if you can.
- Try not to put too many pieces of furniture against your walls. Instead, make sure to keep large sections of wall open.
- If you have a dark part of the room, try to keep dark furniture out of it. For example, if there is a part of the room that is not well-lit, don’t put a dark brown chair there.
Remove dark colored accessories.Dark accessories have the effect of intensifying and highlighting dark paint. By getting rid of dark colored accessories, you’ll make a step toward brightening the room.
- Remove accessories that are darker than your wall color.
- If possible, replace dark accessories with lighter ones. For example, if you have a black radio, remove it and use a white or silver one instead.
- Use rugs to brighten the room. For example, if you have dark rugs, remove them or replace them with lighter ones. If you have a dark floor, add a light rug to the room.
Declutter the room.By removing clutter or other objects that fill the room, you’ll create the illusion that the room is larger or more spacious. Ultimately, the room will appear lighter, brighter, and more open.
- Make sure you don’t have too many things hanging on your wall. For instance, you shouldn’t group more than 4 or 6 pieces of artwork together. In addition, if your artwork is dark, you should consider removing some of it.
- Use file cabinets, bookshelves, desks, drawers, or other organizers to declutter and organize things in the room. For example, if you have a lot of books stacked throughout the room, place them all on a small bookshelf.
- If you have an excessive number of decorative pieces, decrease the number.
- Clean off coffee tables, other tables, and pieces of furniture of paper and other clutter.
Use mirrors or crystals.Depending on the room, you may be able to put up a few mirrors or crystals to lighten and open the room. They will give the appearance that a room is larger and brighter place than it is.
- Crystals will reflect light throughout the room. Consider a crystal vase or a similar accessory.
- Mirrors work well in dressing rooms, bedrooms, foyers, and hallways. For example, position a mirror opposite of a window to reflect light throughout the room.
- In most cases, you’ll only be able to use one mirror per room.
- If you install a framed mirror, make sure the frame is not a dark color.
Painting and Remodeling
Paint the ceiling.By painting the ceiling bright white, you'll temper the darkness of the walls. Ultimately, painting the ceiling will help complete the transformation you initiated when you painted in the first place.
- Use flat white ceiling paint to paint the ceiling.
- If the ceiling is painted another color, or is bare wood, make sure to prime it before painting it.
Use a light or bright color on the room's trim.By repainting the room's trim a bright color, you'll be able to lighten the room up.
- Many people rely on bright white trim paint to lighten up a room.
- depending on the color scheme of the room, you may also be able to use bright blues, greens, or other colors.
- Trim usually includes the baseboard, door and window framing, chair rails, and crown molding.
Change windows or doors.You may also be able to substantially brighten the room by changing a window or a door. Ultimately, these changes should focus on bringing more light into the room and making the room appear more open and airy.
- Replace any foggy windows.
- Add a glass door. Clouded glass doors are especially appropriate for master bathrooms.
Add an accent wall.One of the easiest ways to brighten a room is with an accent wall. By changing just one of the four walls in a room, you'll add new character and temper the darkness of the other walls.
- Consider repainting one wall a lighter color. For instance, this could work well on a wall with windows or with a door.
- Think about using wallpaper to brighten one wall or a section of wall. For instance, if you have a recessed area in a parlor, foyer, or entertaining area, you could wallpaper it to add some brightness.
Video: 3 Tricks to Instantly Brighten a Dark Room
Y si la belleza fuese solo una vía para el disfrute y no un arma al servicio de los estereotipos
How to Clean a Bulb Syringe
Touch your toes without your knees buckling
How to Find Free Household Budgeting Software
Brad Pitt has just spoken out for the first time about his divorce from Angelina Jolie
Exclusive: Every Piece In The MS x Baartmans And Siegel Collaboration
12 Ways to Stay Motivated When You Have a Lot of Weight to Lose
15 Celebrities Who Have Walked The Runway
This LA startup is selling premium denim for under 100
4 Women Explain Why They Decided to Remarry Their Ex-Husbands
How to Load a Powerboat on a Trailer
How to Be an Openly Gay Christian
Stayin Alive... Or Not
What Does Pansexual Mean