by Tina Boomerina (Christina Gregoire)
Apple-shaped women are basically shafted by fashion designers, apparel styles, and clothing brands. I know this to be true because I'm an apple. So, here are some fashion tips for women who still look pregnant 20 years after the baby is born.
What should you wear to disguise an apple body?
Plus Sized Clothing for Apple Shaped Women
Well, females with this natural body shape are the orphans of the design world.
So, clothing tips for women like us (with a body type that's similar to an apple on two toothpicks) come from all directions: Wear a sheath, an A-line dress, a fitted jacket, a straight-cut blouse, no complicated patterns, and all the other horrid, blatantly wrong ideas that can be found in various articles. (Granted, these suggestions must work for some.)
Anyway, there are many very bad ideas floating around the internet to try to help marshmallow-tummied girls.
So, I'm here to tell you about the...
Best Clothing Brands for Apple-Shaped Women
Most clothing styles are designed for stick-thin models or pear-shaped women.
However, a few well-loved brands for tops and dresses can be relied upon when nothing else seems to fit. Okay, there are other brands that are good, but these are brands that have been good to me over the years.
Sure, I could go online, find a list of clothing manufacturers, and tell you what the retailers want you to hear, but you can find that info on other websites.
So, if you're having a hard time finding something to wear that looks good on your unique shape, and you live in the US, start with these:
For dresses and events:
- Donna Morgan: Look for cute dresses with twist-waists that fall a little above your natural waistline (not all of them do).
- Karen Kane: Look for twisty wrap dresses and tops in stretchy fabrics. Kane also has good cascading waterfall (drapey) designs.
- Maggy London: Maggy London has been good for me in the past, but some seasons are better than others for clothing that fits an apple shape. Look for ruched dresses and waterfall dresses.
For fun boho clothing:
- Joe Browns: I like Joe Browns' 60s boho vibe. Look for rocker-chic tunics and dresses that look like they came out of Haight Ashbury back in the day. Joe Browns' is a UK company that makes regular and plus sizes.
Plus Size Fashion for Tummies
Johnny Was: If you're a former hippie (or a current hippie), you'll like Johnny Was' worldly, jet-setter styles. Look for long tunic tops with groovy florals and cool crocheting, beautiful silk maxi skirts, and fabulous wrap coats. Wait for sales because these beauties aren't cheap. Sizes run large... even the plus sizes.
For Simple Elegance:
- Rachel Pally: Look for versatile maxi dresses in simple styles. In my opinion, Pally's printed designs look better in real life than they do online, but I like her plain clothing as much as her prints. (I have both.) Her line uses great modal fabric with wonderful drape. I also like her tie tops. All of her stuff is good for day as well as for dress-up. Pally sells both regular and plus sizes.
- Eileen Fisher: Look for chic, casual tops and dresses that are so unstructured and stretchy they'll fit anyone. These styles are good for work and weekends, but some designs can be dressed rue 21 summer dresses photo up with accessories. If you're a plus size, look for longer tops.
Those are my go-to picks, but we're all different even though we're all apple shapes. Finding the best brand for your bod is just a matter of trial and error.
So, until you find the best brands for your special body, you should explore the internet. Play around online... and look for jersey tops and dresses that have an apple-friendly design. (I will give you tips about what to look for, below.)
I know you can go cheaper than the brands I've listed, because I find cute inexpensive tops all the time. Sometimes they work. Sometimes I ship them back.
Unfortunately, many cute dresses, slacks, jeans, and tops will seem adorable on you... until you try to breathe. I guess they think breathing is overrated.
Fashion Tips for Apple-Shaped Women
Here are some tips that I have found to be helpful:
- Apples Are Top Heavy: Apple-shaped women are top heavy. A deep V-neck or U-neck style makes broad shoulders and big chests look thinner. A touch of cleavage is almost always good, as a diversionary tactic, if you are a woman over 40 or 50.
- Color Block Trend: Color blocking, done right, will draw people's eyes up to your face or down to your shapely legs.
- Prints Are Fine: Stretch jersey prints are fabulous for your apple body, and the right print will give good camouflage and confuse your critics.
- Leggings: This seems counterintuitive, but a long, tunic top over stretchy leggings is a good look for many apple chicks. I like to make sure my top is long enough to cover all the family jewels, and then I balance everything with some cute knee-high boots. You can go all rock-n-roll with this look, as long as most of the items you're wearing are made out of great fabric.
- Wrap Dresses: Wrap dresses, in stretch jersey, are wonderful if they have enough fabric so they will not fall open. Make sure your wrap dresses have flared skirts, for balance, or people will only notice your tummy.
Any designer who decides to make a wrap dress with enough fabric to wrap an apple stomach and then flare out, in a cool, trendy DVF-type of print, will make zillions. If the dress comes in both larger-missy and plus sizes, has no collar, and hits below the knee, the designer will be canonized. (Article continues)
Photo Credits on Next Page.
Continue to page 2 of clothing for women with.020.3k00
CLICK TO READ MORE >> >>1
by Tina Boomerina (and Jessica) Here’s another interview of my daughter’s fashionista friend, Jessica. Jess is a 30-something...
by Tina Boomerina (Christina Gregoire) I recently interviewed a stylist friend named Jessica who works in Beverly Hills,...
by Tina Boomerinas (Christina Gregoire) Here are some ideas and tips for winter wedding dresses and accoutrements (accessories)...
Fashion trends fall 2018 ( photo )
Suri cruise school photo
Wedding decorations for reception hall 2018
Purple prom dresses short with straps 2018
Heart wallpapers for mobile phones
Fashion photography shoes tumblr 2018
Mens business casual fashion 2018
Mens hipster clothing